AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Darden North




TBM: How do you imagine the ideal reader of your book?

DN: “The ideal reader of my book is anyone who enjoys a contemporary, fast-paced mystery or thriller built around unique and often complex characters who scream for an invitation to lunch.”

TBM: How was the writer inside of you born?

DN: “Almost 20 years ago, I started reading contemporary mysteries and thrillers, the genre generally dominated by recovering attorneys, and decided that as a still-practicing physician I could try to write the same or better using characters in the medical profession.”

TBM: What genres do you work with and why are you attracted to these forms of writing?

DN: “I write mystery and suspense because I seek plots that question reality or conventional wisdom but are presented as plausible. Fiction lets me twist the truth and unravel it to shock my reader every time.”

TBM: As a reader, what elements of a story do you love, or do you hate?

DN: “I loathe repetition of the facts or developments in a story as though the author considers the reader stupid. Analyzing a character’s dialogue and/or facial expressions or body language for the reader many times slows the action to a snail’s pace.”

TBM: What inspired you to write WIGGLE ROOM and what do you hope your readers will take away from this book?

DN: “I was intrigued that a physician in military service overseas would be conflicted by duties to heal the enemy. From that concept, I imagined a unique tale where a terrorist tracks a surgeon back home to Mississippi, the Iraqi terrorist intent on killing the doctor for saving his life. In WIGGLE ROOM I hope readers will see both the personal and professional venerability of physicians and nurses who seek to release normal emotions and find balance in their lives.” 

TBM: How long did it take you to write this book and what did you do the day that you finished it?

DN: WIGGLE ROOM took about four years to write and revise because I had a lot of interruptions. The day I finished, I started the outline of my next novel, my fifth and a follow-up story to WIGGLE ROOM.”

TBM: What would you like to say to your readers?

DN: “I strive for my novels to go beyond the concept of medical mysteries and thrillers and to appeal to readers who do not typically read that genre. The medicine is not the story in my books, the people and the situations drive the action and conflict.”

TBM: What has pushed you to complete four mystery and suspense novels and work diligently now on a fifth book?

DN: “I write the way I read. I love to lose myself in a good story and like nothing more than to take control of the plot, getting my characters into all kinds of satisfying mischief.”

TBM: Lastly, a direct message to the readers, about why they should read WIGGLE ROOM by Darden North.


DN: “I can’t say it better than one of my reviewers: ‘WIGGLE ROOM will not only make you wiggle, it will make you squirm. This modern thriller is cleverly plotted, strongly written, and will pull you into a story world filled with danger, excitement, and conflict at every turn.’ Another said: ‘Darden North writes vividly, with strong pace, action and emotion, counterbalanced with sharp observations and wry humor.’ ”