AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Marie Lavender

TBM: How do you imagine the ideal reader of your book?

ML: I imagine the ideal reader of my book to be a romantic who doesn’t mind bit of history and suspense thrown into a love story. Anyone who loves a good story and enjoys a thrill while learning about new places would be a potential reader.

TBM: How was the writer inside of you born?

ML: When I was young, I absolutely loved the written word!  I would pour over books, eating up the narratives within.  My imagination was huge and my family would often find me acting out my own stories with dolls and such.  This eventually translated into writing stories, and I’ve been writing them ever since.




TBM: What genres do you work with and why are you attracted to these forms of writing?

ML: I write romance because I love showing how two people can work out their differences, to be unique, be separate individuals and yet still find something in common.  Writing in different subgenres like contemporary, historical, suspense, paranormal romance and fantasy simply allows me to pursue those separate interests while still including a romance angle.

TBM: As a reader, what elements of a story do you love, or do you hate?

ML: I love the escape of a good story, becoming immersed in it wholly, and when you finally step back, you’re surprised that the writer did his or her job so well.  This requires well-developed characters and a great plot. What do I hate?  I hate when a main character gets killed off as a plot twist.  Not only is it frustrating, it seems like a cheap way out for the writer.  In Creative Writing classes, we were taught to never do that with main characters.  Anyway, that’s my pet peeve with stories. 

TBM: What inspired you to write Upon Your Honor and what do you hope your readers will take away from this book?

ML: This story was created to not only be a continuation of the story of the first book, Upon Your Return, but it was necessary to write because it has a survivor theme.  So many people go through horrific events, and they still come out extraordinary.

TBM: How long did it take you to write this book and what did you do the day that you finished it?

ML: All in all, this book took me about a year to write.  When I was finished with the manuscript, I went out to celebrate with my fiancĂ©.  It felt so great to know that I’d completed the second book in the Heiresses in Love Series! 

TBM: What would you like to say to your readers? 

ML: I would like to thank my readers, my loyal fans from the beginning.  Without all of you, without your lovely comments via social media or through the website, I wouldn’t have been inspired to keep up this writing train.

TBM: What do you have planned next?

ML: Well, I have another book coming out soon.  It is titled Second Nature.  It is the first book of the Blood at First Sight Series, and it’s a paranormal romance/urban fantasy.  I also just finished work on a children’s fantasy story titled A Little Magic, which also happens to be the sequel to Magic & Moonlight.  Additionally, I am working on the final book in the Heiresses in Love Series; it is called Upon Your Love.

TBM: Lastly, a direct message to the readers, about why they should read Upon Your Honor.


ML: I can’t wait to show this book to some wonderful, new readers.  In my opinion, it reads differently than most historical romance novels and should appeal to readers of other genres as well.  Chloe and Gabriel are special characters, and I think they will be special to you too.