AUTHOR INTERVIEW Jennifer Kohout

Welcome to the author of Queen of Soulds, a paranormal romantic erotica story!

TBM: How do you imagine the ideal reader of your book? 

JK: The ideal reader of my book is open-minded, romantically adventurous. They are someone that has been reading the genre for a while and is looking for something a little different, but not too different. All of my books follow long standing traditions, but with a little something extra.

TBM: How was the writer inside of you born? 

JK: I love to read. Some of my earliest memories are riding in the back of my family’s car reading. At Christmas, my wish list was made up of books, books and more books. It seemed a natural evolution to go from reading stories that I love to writing.




TBM: What genres do you work with and why are you attracted to these forms of writing? 

JK: I write historical romance, paranormal romance, and erotica. The biggest attraction for me is the fantasy. Whether set in eighteenth century London or modern day Seattle, I love creating characters that live and love as I grew up wishing I could. 

TBM: As a reader, what elements of a story do you love, or do you hate? 

JK: As a reader, it’s all about the characters for me. Everything else is just stage and setting. I get the most pleasure from books where there are characters I love and hate. Nothing is as satisfying as seeing the hero and heroine serve an especially nasty villain his comeuppance. 

TBM: What inspired you to write QUEEN OF SOULS and what do you hope your readers will take away from this book?

JK: Queen of Souls is all about exploring past traditional notions of love, life, death, romance, and relationships. It embraces the idea that we can love more than one person and still be respectful of our relationships. I also wanted to be free to explore different notions of sexuality that go beyond Fifty Shades, which is why Queen of Souls is list as erotic.

TBM: How long did it take you to write this book and what did you do the day that you finished it? 

JK: I actually wrote this book twice. On my first draft, I reached 101,000 words and wasn’t happy with it. So, I started over. I went all the way back to the 15 Beats and hammered out an entirely new story. Between the first draft, second draft and follow up edits, it took me almost a year to write Queen of Souls. When I finished, I celebrated with dinner out with my husband and a bottle of champagne.

TBM: What would you like to say to your readers? 

JK: To my readers, I want to say thank you. I have some of the greatest fans an author could ask for. They have followed me across genres, venturing into types of books they wouldn’t normally read because it was something I wrote. That kind of loyalty is humbling. 

TBM: What are you working on now? 

JK: I just started working on a new historical romance. The book will be set in the early 1700s and is takes place near the end of the Golden Age of Piracy. As I said before, I like to offer my readers a little something different. In this case, our pirate captain is a woman.

TBM: Lastly, a direct message to the readers, about why they should read Queen of Souls.

JK: Queen of Souls was a hard book to write, but it’s one of my favorite. I fell in love with more than one of my characters along the way, and I hope the reader will too. Despite the untraditional characters and setting, you’ll find situations we can all identify with - love, loss, and insecurity.